Post a new point of interest
If you want to post your itinerary to us click here
Saint Chiara Church dates back to the end of XVII century when the monastery of Poor Clares was totally rebuilt and designed by the architect Romolo Broglio from Treia. The work was finally completed in 1710. The Poor Clares were forced to leave the monastery in 1851 and 1861 because of the suppression of religious orders by Napoleon. In 1894, the monastery was purchased and restored by "Suore della Visitazione di Offagna", who opened a convent school for girl’s education. The octagonal interior is baroque, the vaulted central space is surrounded by three altars along the orthogonal sides, whereas the links to the rooms of the monastery open on the oblique sides. Over the entrance, a choir stall contains a pipe organ of the XVII century. The ceiling, which is decorated by monochromic white stuccoes, hosts three medallions: the central portrays "Gloria del Paradiso con il Padre Eterno" surrounded by angels whereas the other two externals represent the "Resurrezione e l'Assunzione della Vergine al cielo". The altars are made of polychrome marble and they have the spiral columns elevation, entablature and pediment of exquisite carving and richly decorated in gold. The church is special since a polychrome wooden statue of the Virgin from Loreto, clad in a Dalmatic fabric, is venerated there inside. The statue was entrusted to the Visitation Order and it is situated on the major altar. The Visitation order moved the statue to Treia during the Napoleonic era. The Virgin from Loreto is a true copy of a XIV century wooden statue of cedar of Lebanon exposed in "Santa Casa di Loreto". Finally, the author of the “Virgin from Loreto” is unknown, as well as its execution date, even though the year 1722 is supposed.
THE POOR CLARES
In the ancient castle gathered together some pious women whom wanted a penitent life, creating in this way the monastery of Poor Clares.
The tradition wants that the statue of the Virgin in Santa Chiara is, in fact, the statue originally venerated in Loreto and that a new exchange, consecutive to the restitution of the statue by the French would never be occurred.